Tuesday 29 March 2016

Day 6: Climbing, Climbing, and More Climbing!

Today was the second day in Austin, but the first day of outdoor rock climbing. The day started dark and early at 6:30 in the morning. Everybody around the camp was exhausted from the long bus ride and restless sleep the night before. However, I could feel the buzz in the air; I could feel the nervous excitement my peers were experiencing as this was the day we had all been training so hard for. Truthfully I did not know what to expect. I did not know if the rock was going to tear up my hands, or if it was going to be anything like the gym, all I knew was that our guides from Rock About, the rock climbing company we were using, Bailey and Russell were telling me how great it would be; so I was not worried. When we approached the first rock climbing site I began to immediately regret coming to Austin to climb. The climbs at this site were short and relatively easy.  However, during the afternoon, after our lunch, we walked a little bit further along the canyon, where the climbs were located, and I was suddenly enlightened on what rock climbing Austin has to offer. The climbs were much longer, and a little bit harder which was significantly more enjoyable than the ones at our first climbing site. 

In all honesty though, I enjoyed climbing in the gym rather than here in Austin. Now, don't get me wrong the climbing in Austin is great but the rocks are sharp, it is a killer on the hands, and you can't follow a specific route. I particularly like climbing in the gym because you get to follow routes and you get to experience the challenge of using only the specifically marked rocks. In the climbing we are doing out here every hold is on, there is nothing specifically marked. All in all, though, everyone is enjoying themselves. The trip has been a great bonding experience and by my standards, a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment